Friday, February 17, 2017

Snippet from The Lost Savannah

My new book, The Lost Savannah, will be released next week.

Blurb:
The Lost Savannah is the second novella in the Lost and Found Pets series. Alexandra Prescott opened Lost and Found Pets because she loves animals. Reuniting pet and owner is more than just a job.

Alex is hired to find a lost Savannah, a rare and expensive cat breed. She quickly learns the cat isn’t just missing. The cat was stolen. The main suspect is the next door neighbor who is obsessed with Savannahs and the game of golf.

Soon Alex discovers a black market ring in the world of fanatic Savannah cat breeders. She has to dust off her rusty investigative skills to solve the mystery of the lost Savannah.

Here is a snippet:
The housekeeper led me through a formal living room into another room where Grace was waiting with a boy who appeared to be about twelve years old. This room was a family room and much more tastefully decorated. The furniture looked comfortable and went well with the dark, thick carpet. The only pictures on the walls were family portraits of a seemingly happy family of four.
“Thank you for coming, Ms. Prescott,” Grace said as Hero and I walked into the room. She turned to the boy who was sitting on a chair next to the couch. He didn’t look at Hero or me. He was swaying just a little, and tapping his right hand against his leg in a constant, repetitive motion. “This is my son, Brian. Brian, this is Ms. Prescott. She’s going to try to find Sammie.”
“Hi Brian,” I said. “This is Hero.”
Hero sat up straighter when I said his name. Brian didn’t seem to notice. Usually I get along pretty well with children. Unlike adults, they don’t feel the need to make small talk. My default communication style works just fine with them. But it was obvious to me that Brian wasn’t your average child. He showed no interest in Hero.
“Don’t like dogs,” Brian said, and the tapping on his leg increased.
“Brian…” Grace started.
“No problem,” I said, speaking over her. This was my area. Brian wasn’t the first client who had a negative reaction to Hero. “Lots of people don’t like dogs, but Hero knows how to search for other animals. He’s going to search for Sammie.”
“Sammie’s gone.” The anguish in his voice was palpable. It tore at my heart.
“Well,” I said sharply. “We’re going to try to find her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment