Thursday, February 9, 2017

Personal Note

I have realized that I don’t share a lot about myself on social media. In general, I’m a pretty private person, but I enjoy learning more about the authors I read so this year I’m going to try to share a little more.

We’ll start with something simple. I was born and raised in a small town in south Texas the youngest of six children. My five older siblings (my brothers are twins) are very close in age – all born within four and a half years. Yes, my mother was a little crazy. I was a “surprise” arriving over six years after my brothers.

My oldest sister left for college when I was seven. I don’t really remember ever living in the same house as her, but I got to go visit her and my second oldest sister often. During school breaks, I would spend a week or so with one of them. We would go to movies, zoos, parks, or just hang out.

When my brothers left for college, it was just my parents and me. They divorced about a year later so it was down to just my mom and me. In some ways, I was also an only child.

Both of my parents are gone, but I live with two of my sisters. I know I was lucky. I was cared for and loved. My parents struggled to make ends meet, but I never went hungry or lacked clothes. There were times I didn’t get what I wanted, but I always got what I needed. It was a good childhood.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I don't like to talk about myself, either, but bits and pieces usually show up in my writing, especially my love for animals, which I suspect, you and I have in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- there is always a bit of me in my books. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete