Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday Excerpt

This month all the Monday excerpts will be from Dead in a Dumpster: Leah Norwood Mystery #1. Available  on AmazonBarnes & NobleiBooksKoboSmashwords, and Google.

When Leah Norwood finds the body of Isabel Meeks in the dumpster behind her store, she can’t believe the police consider her a suspect. Sure, she didn’t liked Isabel, but then again, neither did anyone else. Isabel had a condescending attitude and a bad reputation. As manager of the antique store, Patina, she had made a lot of enemies.

There is Patina’s assistant manager, the handsome and charming Trent. Isabel was blackmailing him. There is Patina’s owner, the aloof and influential Anthony Thorpe.  Isabel was smuggling drugs through his store. And there is the entire drug dealing Cantono family. Isabel had lost a box containing heroin from one of their shipments. That is just to name a few and didn’t even include the stranger who was seen arguing with Isabel just hours before her death.

The police have too many suspects and too many soft alibis. Leah needs to prove to the sexy new chief of police that she had nothing to do with Isabel’s death.

Leah loves a good mystery. Can she find the killer before the police arrest her for murder?

Excerpt:

“I don’t want to hurt anyone,” I said, “but I will if I have to. I got your message. It would be best if you leave.”

The kid had recovered. The swagger was back, but so was the anger. He took a step toward me. I aimed the gun directly at him, praying fervently that I wouldn’t have to use it.

“You heard the lady,” came a voice from the right. “I’ve called the police. I doubt you want to be here when they arrive.”

I breathed a sigh of relief that was quickly followed by panic as Daniel Thompson stepped out from behind the dumpster. The shotgun he held in his hands wasn’t quite steady. I stepped toward him as the two Cantonos whipped around. Once they realized that they now had someone armed on either side, they moved back toward the car. I continued making my way toward Daniel while keeping an eye on the men.

“You think we’re afraid of the police?” Mike said. “How do you think we know about her snooping?”

“Mike!” the man said harshly. “Get in the car.”

“But…”

“Now,” he growled. The look he gave Mike would have made me pee in my pants. Mike didn’t do much better. He paled and quickly walked around to the driver’s side and got in.

The other man watched him before turning back to us. He didn’t seem concerned. He was relaxed and confident. He did have a scowl on his face, but I think it was left over from the look he had given Mike. His expression smoothed out as he studied us.

By now, I had reached Daniel. As the man wasn’t armed as far as I could see, I didn’t aim my gun at him although I keep it in front of me. His eyes traveled down and back up again, and I could tell he noticed. He looked me in the face, and when I raised my chin and looked back, he suddenly grinned. I gasped softly. He was gorgeous, even better looking than Trent. I hadn’t noticed before because I was so scared, but I certainly noticed now. He might be the best-looking man I have ever seen. He was also the scariest. He raised his hand to his head and gave me a small salute. I could hear sirens in the distance. He stared at me a moment longer and then winked. “Night, Ms. Norwood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment