Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Journey with Self-Publishing, Part 3 – Promotion and Advertising


My last two posts dealt with getting my books published which I did with a lot of effort but no outside help.  So now what?

My books were out there, sitting on Amazon waiting for someone to notice.  Obviously, they didn't.  I needed to get the word out.  I needed to advertise.  But how?  One of the books I purchased about selling on Amazon had a list of Twitter accounts and Facebook pages that would advertise your book.  It was a very helpful list.  It gave me a place to begin.

I decided to offer my first book free for three days in the hope that it would attract people to my work.  This was fairly successful.  I had over 1500 downloads of my free book and then several purchases of my second book.  I used the Twitter accounts to promote the free book and I believe that lead to the purchase of the second.

After the first three days, my books continued to sell a little.  I was never expecting a lot of sales.  I know that what I write and the fact that I am unknown was not going to lead to a lucrative endeavor.  Over the next few months, I would sell about one or two books a week.  Then in late June, it dried up.  No more sales.  That is when I decided I would published my books with other retailers, specifically Smashwords (next week's blog.)

I also tried a few other sites that advertise.  I needed to get the information in front of different people.  It helped and sales picked up some.  I am not a promoter but I have attempted to put my books out on any website, Twitter account, or Facebook page that will let me.  My books will never be best sellers and I will never be able to make a living writing but I do enjoy knowing that someone is willing to read my work. 

I am sure there are many other ways to advertise.  You can do press releases, book tours, conventions, and associations.  I haven't tried any of those yet.  I don't know if I will.  I am not a very extroverted person and interacting with a bunch of people to promote my books makes me a little uncomfortable.  If you are interested in those options, there are a lot of choices.  I have a few and will share if you wish to contact me.  You can do so via my website, blblair.com

Below is a list of some of the websites and Twitter accounts that I have used.  They are still active as of today.  Some cost but some are free.  They all have some specific criteria or "rules" you need to follow so read the directions.  Most have a free option and a paid option depending on what you want.  All the websites also have Twitter accounts and tweet your books so I did not put those on the Twitter list.  I

If you are on any of the sites, please stop by my page (B. L. Blair) and "like" it or tweet it if you don't mind.  Every little bit helps.  Good Luck!

Book Listing Websites (cost)                         Book Listing Websites (free) 
independentauthornetwork.com                     goodreads.com
bookgoodies.com                                            authorsdb.com
goodkindles.net                                               awesomegang.com
askdavid.com
bookdaily.com
derekhaines.ch/whizbuzz/

Twitter (some cost/some are free)
@SweetFreeBooks
@Promoting_Books
@KindlePromoFree
@ereaderbuddy
@BookTweetTeam
@ReadersAlliance
@AuthorAlliance
@AuthorPromos
@magazinetwit
@AuthorLaunch
@BookTourRadio
@IndieBooks
@free_kindle_fic
@kindlepromoter
@KindieBooks
@IndieKindle
@SnicksList
@freebookpromos
@eBooksLister
@dailyfreebooks
@flurriesofwords
@IBDBookoftheday
@ebookdealofday

No comments:

Post a Comment